Monday, January 23, 2012

The moviegoing experience just isn't what it used to be

Ever noticed that the more you do something, the less it affects you? As much as I love horror movies and would generally pick them over any other genre, it's next to impossible for them to scare me anymore.
I keep seeing people talking about The Woman in Black and how scary it looks. Every time I go to a movie and see the trailer, everyone freaks out and jumps at the smallest thing. It was one of the things that annoyed me about seeing horror movies in the past, especially the PG-13 ones that attracted lots of teenage girls -- every time someone on the screen so much as blinked, the audience screamed like they were at a Justin Bieber concert or something.
I'm planning on seeing The Woman in Black. I like ghost stories and Daniel Radcliffe is pretty cool, if only by default because he wasn't only in the Harry Potter movies, he IS Harry Potter. But I get the feeling it won't be half as good as it's being hyped up to be. Cheap thrills don't really affect me anymore. Well, at least not on screen -- though when I woke up at 5:30 this morning and had to stumble to my shower in the dark, all those TV spots came back to me and I ended up looking over my shoulder to make sure there wasn't a creepy woman standing behind me. But it's difficult to find a movie that will genuinely want to make me sleep with the lights on. And they haven't scared me for awhile, so why do I keep watching them? Probably because of the adrenaline rush. Any movie, book, or other story should be about a character, and the audience should care about that character and want something to happen to them -- even if they're watching a slasher movie and they just want the stupid, selfish teenage girl to get hacked up or the sweet heroine to make it to the final scene. I'm hoping The Woman in Black (as well as any other horror movie I see this year) will at least give me that. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment