Saturday, May 19, 2012

An important message for everyone

The other day at work, I was nearing the end of my shift when I ran into my ninth grade English teacher. I hadn't seen her in years, and it took us a moment to recognize each other. But as soon as we made the "hey, I know you!" connection, the conversation inevitably turned to what we had been doing. As I recall, it went something like this:

Her: So are you still in school?
Me: Nope, I'm done.
Her: Really? And you're working at Target? What is your degree in?
Me: Creative Writing
Her: Oh. Well, that explains it.

I didn't initially want to write about this because I didn't want to sound like a whiner. There are always going to be assholes who say things like this, and you can't dwell on them or you'll never get anywhere. Or can you? No matter how old you get, no matter how much you go through and grow and learn and stop letting stupid, petty little things get to you, there will always be things that do get to you. There will always be things that people do and say that hurt you. And that's okay. After all, we are only human.

The key is to believe in yourself, even when others don't. I'm an adult. I have a college degree and graduated with honors. I worked my butt off to get that degree, I worked my butt off to find a job after I graduated, and I work my butt off at my actual job. I don't have a family to support (yet), but I am working toward the goal of being able to support myself. Regardless of how I end up making a living one day, if I am able to write for a living or if I have to look elsewhere for a career, I do plan on making a living and being successful.
So...can someone give me one good reason why I should be degraded for what my degree is in and/or where I work? Yeah...didn't think so.

Don't ever let anyone convince you that you're beneath them. Don't ever let anyone discourage you, or tell you that you can't do something. It probably won't be easy to find a job and make a living, at least not at first, and there is a stigma against having a liberal arts degree. But lots of thriving, successful adults do have them, and one day I will be among them. If you're doing the absolute best that you can, if you have a good, realistic goal that you want to work toward and a healthy, positive, realistic attitude about life, then nobody has a right to put you down for that. So don't let them.


No comments:

Post a Comment