Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Cheesecake Factory and unfulfilled dreams


For the past few weeks, I've been having this strange reoccurring dream. It always starts out with me driving, somewhere close to my house but not right by it. I end up on this little road in the middle of nowhere, and at the end of the road is a Cheesecake Factory. Every now and then, I'll end up on foot and wandering through a forest filled with abandoned tree houses. But most of the time, I end up inside The Cheesecake Factory, ordering cheesecake to go.

Okay, so it's really not that bizarre. It actually makes perfect sense in my mind; I've had a slight obsession with The Cheesecake Factory since visiting one for the first time two years ago (where I took the above photo). But when I relayed the dream to my dad a few nights ago, he gave me another interpretation.

My parents and I love watching The Big Bang Theory. I've blogged about it a couple of times in the past, and my NaNo novel even had a character named Penny. On the show, Penny is the beautiful blonde girl who lives across the hall from two of the major characters, Sheldon and Leonard. They work at CalTech and are, like, you know, really really really smart.

Penny (Big Bang Penny, not NaNo Penny) moved to Pasadena from Nebraska in hopes of becoming an actress. In the five years since arriving there, Penny has done a play above a bowling alley, a hemorrhoid cream commercial, and...well, that's about it. Her acting career hasn't quite gotten underway yet, so she supports herself by working as a waitress at The Cheesecake Factory.

Perhaps, my dad suggests, I'm subconsciously thinking of Penny...and how she is constantly chasing an unfulfilled dream. Does The Cheesecake Factory represent what my life is really like, as opposed to what I want it to be? Will I be like Penny, constantly chasing a dream only to find out I've been running in place all along?

Gosh, that was depressing. Now I'm going to have to go root through my pictures for another Adam Levine shot...



There we go. Much, much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment