Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Life happens to you when you least expect it

Marriage! Baby! Mid life crisis! (source)

A week or so ago, I burned my thumb on our giant popcorn machine at work. I get little scrapes and burns like this all the time, so I didn't think much of it and figured it would probably be gone in a day or so. But a few days later, it was still there and worse than ever. It eventually started to heal, but the process was much slower than I expected. This afternoon, I finally peeled off the last part of the scab, leaving a pink, mostly healed thumb.

Kind of an insignificant even in the grand scheme of things. But it did get me thinking. When I got that little burn, I never expected it to last as long as it did. Life is kind of funny that way; the most unexpected things happen to us quickly and with little or no notice.

- In the late spring of 2005, I never expected to leave the arts school that I had worked so hard to get into (and stay in) for three years.

- In early 2006, I never expected to meet a guy, fall in love, and have the relationship fall apart after just a few months. I never expected to spend the week of my high school graduation nursing a broken heart.

- At the beginning of August 2009, I never thought I'd meet a celebrity. Two weeks later I met the Jonas Brothers. A year later, I met them again.

All of the significant events in my life, good or bad, have been unexpected. A few weeks or months earlier, I probably never would have predicted them. How many times have we heard celebrities sit down for interviews and say "this time last year, I never though this would happen to me"? This isn't to say, of course, that we should sit back and wait for things to happen to us, because then nothing would happen. But just as you're tired of working at something, just as you're getting tired of waiting to see something pay off...something happens.

I've got to remember that sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment