Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Things that make me happy


In the spirit of positivity and personality, I thought I'd share a list of things that make me happy. Whether it's a certain action, a book, movie, whatever.

Writing: This one's kind of obvious, since it's what I spend most of my time doing. Sometimes it's miserable, of course. Sometimes it makes me want to bang my head against a wall. Sometimes it stresses me out more than anything ever has before. But there's nothing that can make me give it up. And nothing compares to the feeling of accomplishment I get when I see my hard work paying off, or even when I just finish something.

Finding a really good book and getting lost in it: This goes hand in hand with writing, but I've read so many books now that it can be hard to dig and find the extraordinary ones, the ones that make you feel like you're being transported to another world. Finding another one is amazing, and rereading the old ones is like visiting an old friend.



Going to church: This one seems kind of strange even as I type it out, because just last week I was sitting in a pew squirming and thinking about how bored I was. And when I was a teenager, I hated being forced to go to church by my parents. But now that I'm older, I feel weird if I skip a week. It's become a part of my routine. Not that going to church is about routine or being happy, but I'm glad I keep doing it week after week because there are plenty of benefits.

Music: When my alarm clock goes off in the morning, it plays music. When I go to work in the mornings, I listen to music. When I'm in my car...music. Writing? If I'm not watching TV, I'm listening to music. Just like getting lost in a good book, few things make me happier than finding a good album I can listen to over and over until I'm sick of it. Nearly every long fiction piece I've written in the past year or so has had some sort of music element in it, because I love it that much.

Pop culture obsessions: I've heard every argument out there against following pop culture and celebrity obsession. But pop is short for popular, and these things are popular for a reason -- people connect to them. I've talked about this time and time again, so I'll just leave it at that.

Coffee: I guess caffeine has been proven to be a mood booster. I can be having the worst day and be angry at any number of silly or unimportant things. But somehow, a cup of coffee makes everything better.

Buffalo wings: So good, they need no explanation.

Yum. 

What sort of things never fail to make you happy?


No comments:

Post a Comment