Friday, January 31, 2014

Mississippi is confused (and so am I)

Hola, my lovely followers. I haven't written in approximately 800 or so years, I believe. Not because I have nothing to say, but because I have zillions of ideas for posts floating around in my head that all fizzle out before I actually get to write them down. Or I write them down, then read back over them a few days later, decide they suck, and delete them.

Today was my first day back to work after a three day "snowstorm." Monday morning, I learned that all the schools in my area would be closed the following day because we were supposed to get two inches of snow. Yep, two whole inches. We get so little snow so infrequently that when we get two inches, we're not quite sure what to do with ourselves. Monday, of course, was actually pretty nice; high 60's and sunny.

Tuesday and Wednesday, the entire city was covered in snow, the roads in ice. My work was closed both days due to the ice, and I didn't leave the house until Thursday (which was my scheduled off day). There was still some snow on the grass, but I could drive just fine. So I went to the library.

This morning (Friday), most of the snow was melted. When I left for work in the late am, it was a little bit below comfortably cool. By the time I left, there were still patches of unmelted snow around, but I didn't even need my jacket anymore.

So, basically, we went from a nice, sunny spring-ish day, to weather so cold and snowy they had to close down the schools, back to spring weather...all in the space of a week.

So you'd think three snow days in a row would mean I got a lot done...but no, not really. There's something about being stuck indoors that just saps your energy and creativity. I used to be able to do it every Saturday when I was in junior high. Now if I don't leave the house at least once a day, I start to go a little stir crazy.

I did get some writing done, but it was like pulling teeth to get words on the page. I think that might be because I've been really scatterbrained lately. I've got two first drafts I'm trying to revise, another trunked manuscript I pulled out and decided to give another shot, another one I'm still sort of querying (but I'm about to give up on that one), and two more ideas I'm pre-writing/drafting. Oh, and then I've got the main project I'm working on, the 3rd draft of an almost 60K word paranormal romance that I'm getting feedback on right now. I'm trying to set it aside until I get enough feedback to decide what I'll use and start the next draft, but I'd almost rather work on that one and that one only than feel so unfocused.

This main project is one that I'm absolutely in love with, and I'd rather work on one story I'm in love with than five I sort of like. But every time I've halfheartedly start a project lately, I've ended up loving it by the 2nd or 3rd draft. So I feel like something, if not everything, should be clicking soon. Maybe I feel antsy because this is the first time in a year I haven't been on submission, actively awaiting responses from agents. So I feel like if I'm not putting stuff out there then there's no way I'm going to get anywhere. But at the same time, I don't want to submit anything anywhere until I'm 100 % sure it's ready. I just feel like I'm 70 % there with some stuff, 30 % with other stuff, and getting anything to 100 % is going to take way too long.

This will be me when I finally get something done.

I guess this is all part of the journey of life...some days are just better than others. So here, look at the pretty Mississippi snow, and enjoy the rest of your day!








2 comments:

  1. Mississippi snow!?! That's crazy. This winter has been a crazy one, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get snow every now and then, but never this much at one time, and never this bad. I think the entire southern portion of the state just went into panic mode because we didn't know what to do! :P

      Delete