Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Picking up a new hobby

Over the past few months or so, I've realized something about myself: I don't have a lot of hobbies. Actually, if I'm really honest with myself, I don't have any.

When I was in school, writing was my hobby. I never thought it would be my career, so it was something I did for fun, or when there was nothing else to do. Now that I want it to be my career, both that and my day job have sort of taken over every waking moment. Well, except when I'm reading or watching TV. But reading is a part of my work, and TV can't really be considered a hobby. More like a...vegetation state?

Speaking of vegetables, I've decided I'm going to try my hand at gardening. I grew a few little things when I was a kid, including an attempt at growing a pumpkin, only to have the vine wither and die once summer came. But those attempts were sort of like throwing spaghetti at the wall: Toss it and see what sticks. This time, I'm going to do it right.

I talked to a guy I know who used to own a garden center, and he suggested I start with herbs, because they're easy to grow and you can use a pot. It was supposed to get cold this week, but the forecast says the temperatures during the day are only going to be in the 60's, so I might be able to plant some stuff pretty soon.


Hopefully in a couple of months, I'll have pictures of little sprouts to show everyone!


1 comment:

  1. Nice idea! And I get what you're saying about how sometimes hobbies transform into serious endeavors, and thereby cease to be hobbies.

    Yay for gardening!

    ReplyDelete