Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Garden update # 1

A few weeks ago, I blogged about the garden I was planning on starting. I had to start small, of course, so I only have a few pot plants. But after those few weeks, I'm already seeing the fruits (er, vegetables) of my (quasi) labor.


These are the carrots. It's hard to tell from this photo since it's a little blurry, but there are already lots of little offshoot leaves from the main sprouts. It's so cool to watch them get bigger every day. I've heard carrots straight from a garden taste much better than store bought ones, so I can't wait until mine are ready.





The lettuce. A week or so ago, I only had two sprouts, so I planted a bunch of seeds in hopes that at least some of them will grow. Now I have three more sprouts, and I'm sure there will be more to come.



This one is chamomile. I didn't realize how many little leaves would be growing off of each sprout, so this one is a lot of fun to watch.

The only two plants that haven't sprouted yet are some old seeds I got from my mom. They've probably been sitting in our garage for years, so I won't be surprised if I don't get anything from them. But I planted a few more seeds just to try one more time.

I've got a long way to go before I can make salads from my lettuce, or even before I feel like I'm ready to plant seeds in the ground. But after years of struggling with writing rejection and critiques, it's nice to have something that I don't have to be good at but that is still rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment